IP Routing Question

Monty J. Harder dmonster at juno.com
Wed Jan 3 19:21:52 CST 2001

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001 08:45:48 -0600 Brian Densmore
<DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com> writes:

>  You can do this. This is why: the routers have the tables of the
> addresses,
> each router can talk to the other on the private network, Router 4
> will say
> "I am 1 hop from Target" all the other routers will say "I am 2 hops
> or more
> from Target" therefore the preferred route will be through the
> private
> network. A traceroute will display both the external and internal
> addresses.

  Would it be possible for traceroute on these four routers to be
recompiled/configured to only report the public IP to clients tracing
from the "outside"?  This seems like the thing that could cause
confusion.  If the outside world doesn't know about the other addresses
(and the tales of unnumbered interfaces certainly indicate this is
possible) then they can't screw anything up.

> There is absolutely nothing wrong with what you want to do, and it
> should
> work on any kind of network.
>
> Hope this finally answers your question,

  It sure looks promising.  If all that is needed is a tweak to
traceroute, this should free up tons of /30 nets for more productive
purposes.
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.