Bugs are bad, they are not job security (Was: spam)

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Thu Feb 22 19:03:29 CST 2001

> > And one more thing.  Why do we hate Microsoft so much when it's
> > such a goldmine for consultants?  If everyone quite using Microsoft
> > products today (or if they actually got their act together) then I'd
> > bet 80% of the consultants around the world would be out of work...

A bug is a bug is a product defect (Martin Tillinger).

Which is why Microsoft doesn't write software for aircraft control and
missile defense. A single typo could kill real people. The acceptance of
defects in software by people is astounding to me. My name goes into my
code, I refuse to release code to my clients that doesn't work. Anything
less is unacceptable, irresponsible, immoral and yes, just plain WRONG.
Excuse me for shouting, but it is a pet peeve. Bugs are not inevitable in
code, any more than it is inevitable that Ford will make a car without
brakes! That 80% would have better projects to work on and companies would
be more profitable and technology would advance faster. In other words it
would cause a technological boom, that would spur the need for even more
consultants. Reliability has a lot to do with corporate hesitation to
implement. The mentality would not be "Wait until the third bug fix."; it
would be "We need that to beat our competitor!".

I humble submit this rant for approval,
Brian

Brian Densmore <mailto:DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com>

Associate