Dumb Question

Glenn Crocker glenn at netmud.com
Tue Feb 6 21:15:48 CST 2001

Eric,

I'm new, so I missed your original email and probably some followups to it.
A couple of questions:

1.  Is the Linux box up and working 100% fine?  Able to ping www.yahoo.com
(i.e. DNS and routing work correctly)?

2.  What's the internal Windows machine's IP?  In fact, this kind of network
diagram would help a lot:

Windows
10.0.0.???
   ||        (This is probably your internal LAN hub)
10.0.0.1
Linux
(some .home.com IP you got from DHCP originally)
   ||        (This is probably just a connection to your cable modem)
(upstream router's IP address.  You can get this with 'traceroute' on the
Linux box)

If you could fill in the blanks on that diagram, that would help.

3.  Can you ping Linux from Windows?  (ping 10.0.0.1)

4.  Can you ping the upstream router numerically from Windows?

5.  Can you ping the DNS servers (24.16.152.15 and 24.16.152.17) numerically
from Windows?

6.  Can you resolve www.yahoo.com to an IP address successfully from
Windows?

7.  What's the output of this command on Windows:  'tracert -d 24.16.152.15'

8.  What's the output of 'ipconfig /all' on Windows?

-glenn