xmms skipping

Mike Coleman mkc at mathdogs.com
Fri Feb 2 22:12:40 CST 2001

<phase at booyaka.com> writes:
> > my 500MHz 256MB Linux box running xmms also skips when I scroll
> > netscape slowly with the mouse.
>
> have you tried making xmms suid root, and setting the "use realtime
> priority when available" option?

Nice idea--I didn't know about that.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to help
in this case.  It's something other than CPU starvation.

When I first set the machine up it was absolutely horrible; any video activity
would trash the sound.  I found a faq somewhere that said "turn off plug and
play OS in your BIOS" and that made things significantly better.  The trash is
mostly gone, but slow-scrolling netscape still causes problems.

I don't understand exactly what the significance of the BIOS setting is, but
I'm guessing that it means this problem has something to do with some very low
level IRQ or memory resource contention of some kind.

--Mike

--
[O]ne of the features of the Internet [...] is that small groups of people can
greatly disturb large organizations.  --Charles C. Mann