Distro of the day . . .

Mike Coleman mkc at mathdogs.com
Fri Feb 2 19:27:23 CST 2001

"Tony Hammitt" <tony at speedscript.com> writes:
> How in the hell can a personal computer with an 850MHz processor and 1/4 GB
> of RAM possibly skip when playing MP3's??  I've tried Sonique and WinAmp and
> they both stink.  Does anyone know of a better player? (besides bringing in
> the laptop and running xmms =-)

Far be it from me to take up for Windows, but my 500MHz 256MB Linux box
running xmms also skips when I scroll netscape slowly with the mouse.  I
believe it's a hardward/driver issue, though I don't know exactly what.  My
motherboard is one of those with an onboard video chip that uses main memory
instead of having its own, and I think there's some kind of contention between
the video and sound drivers or hardware for some common resource.  Wish I had
time to track it down.

--Mike

--
[O]ne of the features of the Internet [...] is that small groups of people can
greatly disturb large organizations.  --Charles C. Mann