Distro of the day . . .

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at askpioneer.com
Fri Feb 2 19:03:36 CST 2001

My P-III 650MHz at work has started locking up a lot recently.  I installed
a webcam to watch the construction next to my building and it's probably
freezing windows.  Maybe I need more than 64MB of RAM.

> BTW, I got 2.4.1 running on the SMP box last night.  Seems
> pretty slick.  It was an interesting challenge getting it to
> boot with devfs without devfsd on a heavily upgraded RH6.1 OS.
> "/dev/mouse?  WTF is that?" says the kernel...  But besides gpm
> and getty not working, the system was fine after I put
> /dev/discs/disc0/part1 or some such in /etc/fstab.  Devfs is
> not really hard to use, and it sure is a lot more logically
> arranged.  I just hope that someone is eventually going to come
> out with a distro that doesn't use devfsd in preference for the
> 'real' names...
>
> Well, anyway, hope you're having a better time with Mandrake.
> Can't wait for the 2.4 based distros to hit the shelves.
>
> Regards,
>
>     Tony

What is the "/dev/discs/disc0/part1" for?  Is that a SCSI thing or are all
mount points going to be described in this way with the new kernel?  I
personally don't want to worry about which disk has a certain partition on a
day to day basis.  Do I have to mount
/dev/discs/disc0/part3/usr/local/blah123?

Brian