Distro of the day . . .

Tony Hammitt tony at speedscript.com
Fri Feb 2 17:46:42 CST 2001

I haven't really been burning CD's much lately.  I find that
it's easier to just grab the image, mount it loopback, export
the directory and use the NFS install method.  Sure, you still
have to make a floppy for the system to boot off of, but it's
not like that's a big deal.  100Mb ethernet is faster than a CD
anyway.

Then after I know that the system works, I may end up making a
CD just to take to the meetings, 'cuz I'm such a nice guy...
(I'm really a jerk, but I try to not let it show)

I've _got_ to get a linux box here at work.  This windoze piece
of shit is really starting to bother me.  How in the hell can a
personal computer with an 850MHz processor and 1/4 GB of RAM
possibly skip when playing MP3's??  I've tried Sonique and
WinAmp and they both stink.  Does anyone know of a better
player? (besides bringing in the laptop and running xmms =-)

BTW, I got 2.4.1 running on the SMP box last night.  Seems
pretty slick.  It was an interesting challenge getting it to
boot with devfs without devfsd on a heavily upgraded RH6.1 OS.
"/dev/mouse?  WTF is that?" says the kernel...  But besides gpm
and getty not working, the system was fine after I put
/dev/discs/disc0/part1 or some such in /etc/fstab.  Devfs is
not really hard to use, and it sure is a lot more logically
arranged.  I just hope that someone is eventually going to come
out with a distro that doesn't use devfsd in preference for the
'real' names...

Well, anyway, hope you're having a better time with Mandrake.
Can't wait for the 2.4 based distros to hit the shelves.

Regards,

    Tony