Ah -- joys mail zips

Mike Coleman mkc at mathdogs.com
Fri Feb 2 09:56:25 CST 2001

Bradley Miller <bradmiller at dslonramp.com> writes:
> Ok, tossed slackware 7.1 onto a CD, grabbed bare.i for boot disk and off I
> go . . . then I get a "kernel panic no init found" when firing it up.   Any
> suggestions?

I haven't used slackware since about 1994, but generally it sounds like it's
not finding it's root partition.  It might need something like

        root=/dev/hdd

on the boot line.

Alternatively, if your system can boot off of CDs, you could probably save
yourself some trouble by using a distribution that comes on a bootable CD
(e.g., redhat, debian, etc).

--Mike

--
[O]ne of the features of the Internet [...] is that small groups of people can
greatly disturb large organizations.  --Charles C. Mann