More mainstream . . .

Mike Coleman mkc at mathdogs.com
Thu Feb 1 21:45:49 CST 2001

Bradley Miller <bradmiller at dslonramp.com> writes:
> This leads me to the next question -- what's the best way to partition a
> drive?  How much do I need for / and /usr and that????  That's the first
> "Oh my gosh" thin I run into.   The drive in there is like a 400+MB model .
> . . it's small, but this drive will only be to run Linux, networking, and
> enough stuff for decoding MP3's and playing CD's.    I'll stick a 10gig
> (hopefully???) in as drive 2.    Any suggestions???

Bradley,

If you're only putting Linux on one ~400M drive, I'd just partition the whole
thing as '/', unless you have some special need.  That's a pretty small drive
these days, and you'll need to pick and choose which pieces you want to
install.

If you go above 500M, the first partition you really need is '/boot', which
can be 10-20M, depending on the size of the drive (and how much playing with
the kernel you intend to do).

Beyond that, personally, I like to use a third partition '/usr/local', which
is where I put stuff I want to keep (like my home directory) even through OS
reinstalls, etc.

If you have a 10G drive, I'd just go with that and use the 400M for target
practice (or online backups).  Aside from being small, it's probably a lot
slower than the big drive, too.

(BTW, that '/dev/drive2' from your previous message is a RAID thing.  You
almost certainly don't want to be messing with RAID until you've got the
basics down.)

--Mike

--
[O]ne of the features of the Internet [...] is that small groups of people can
greatly disturb large organizations.  --Charles C. Mann