Mainstream . . . (LONG)

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Thu Feb 1 01:01:12 CST 2001

At 06:43 PM 1/31/01 -0500, you wrote:
>It's a damned shame what you have to give up to use Linux.  Reboots,
>speed, stability, expensive applications, single cruddy user
>interface, having to be sitting at the computer to use it's apps.

You know -- I will give you that on a Win95/98 argument, but I just now had
to restart my system for a new peice of software and my uptime on the NT
box showed 458 hours . . . which is 19 days.  It would have been longer but
I installed MS SQL . . . about 19 days ago.  Not bad . . . and my Linux
workstation beside it shows . . . get this -- 50 days of uptime.   It's
been up basically ever since I got back from my trip.   I haven't had to
install anything on that box, so I could careless if I would have had to
reboot it or not.  The Linux server gets Netscape, and terminal window duty
and that's about it.  (Except for the pretty little "mountain" screen
saver.)  My NT box has had Access 2000, Excel, Word, Photoshop 5.5, Cold
Fusion Studio, and xx browswer windows open (with both Netscape and IE).
It has been rock solid, and if I had an erratant program, I just used my
task manager and zapped it.   This system has been in use for over a year+
and simply works with nary a complaint.

Have I said "death to Linux" or "I'm not using it!"???  No -- I'm just
frustrated that Linux is where it is and as far (or not as far) as it is.

-- Bradley Miller