OT-Re: test post

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Wed Dec 26 15:38:08 CST 2001

Well, for one thing, dynamic IP addresses are very useful for system
administrators of medium to huge networks. Maintaining static IP
addresses for a large network can be time consuming, even with
automation scripts. Secondly, I think [correct me if I'm wrong] Gerald
was trying to imply that a dynamic address could be useful against
attacks on a single IP address.

Which brings up an interesting question. Can a DHCP server re-assign an
IP address to a currently connected device, without that device having
to bring networking down and back up? This would be a useful tool to be
used in combination with a firewall.

Brian