Can I use Linux to run DOS programs?

David Carter dcarter at datarecall.net
Thu Dec 20 15:53:01 CST 2001

I just joined the kclug e-mail list last night - this is my first post.

I want to use Linux as my main OS on my home computer.  I've been using OS/2 Warp 3 since Sep 1993
and it ran DOS programs well.  Until my wife bought a new Dell mega-machine mid-Nov with Windows ME
on it, I've been happily insulated from the bugs in Windows OS's.  After a month of suffering
WinME, which I am told is the worst OS Microsoft has ever released, I want to use Linux, alone.

I may have to set up for dual boot to run Windows for some apps, but would prefer to boot Windows
as infrequently as possible, to avoid further pain and waste of time that inevitably occurs.

I have 3 old DOS programs that I want to continue using:  A USAF flight planning program, a Navy
sunrise-sunset/moonrise-moonset program, and WordPerfect 6.0 for DOS.
-  Does Linux "emulate" DOS?  (in some manner analogous to what OS/2 and Windows do?)

-  If it does, after I install Linux OS and get the system where it is functional (e.g., will
connect to internet and do e-mail), what steps would I then take to copy the program files for the
two military programs and "install" WordPerfect (using the install Wizard)?

David Carter
dcarter at datarecall.net