30 GB HD on P 133MHz

jose sanchez j_r_sanchez at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 15:50:29 CST 2001

Ok. Here I go again with my problems. I need help on
this one.

* BIOS: AMI from August 1996.

I bought a 30G DiamondMax Maxtor HD. It came with an
utility disk that installs EZ-BIOS.

Ok... I ran the utility disk and installed EZ-BIOS.
Now, I am trying to install RH 6.2. When the
installation starts or when the kernel starts to
extract itself (when is detecting the HD, Mem, etc..)
it finds the HD and it says something similar to: hda
maxtor 30708MB. This means it found or knows that the
box has a "big" HD, right?

When I get to make the partitions with either ddruid
or fdisk it's only detecting 8.4GB. How can I get
Linux to detect the whole 30G on this HD.

Note:
I also booted with a Win98 boot disk and ran fdisk and
tried making a FAT partition and it only detects 2.4G.
I know FAT has some limitations... I also tried
partitioning the drive with Partition Magic; I get an
error saying "unable to initialize engine" and crashes
after that. I'll find more info about this error on
their website.

Please HELP! And thanks in advance for your support.