Desktop Linux

Jim Herrmann Jim at itdepends.com
Mon Dec 17 05:56:37 CST 2001

I wrote this and sent it about the time the list went down.  I felt it was
important enough to save and resend.  I hope you enjoy reading it.

I'd just like to comment on all the threads about Linux vs. Windoze on the
desktop.  I really think this is an important thread, or threads, that do(es)
deserve a great deal of discussion.  The desktop environment is really
important.  Anyone who was in IT when the PC came about should recognize
this.  In the 80's everyone had a terminal either on their desk, or perhaps
even in a shared room of terminals where one had to leave their desks to go
get on the computer.  Slowly a few PCs filtered in doing stupid little
unimportant things, and they were mostly pooh-poohed by the IT (actually back
then it was the "DP") staff.  Those damn things will never replace the
Mainframe/DECVax/Unix Server.  Well, the people who could afford PCs, i.e.
upper management who had lots of disposable income, started getting PCs at
home, and what did they run?  DOS and later Windows 3.1.  These management
people started asking their technical people why they couldn't have one of
those new fangled typewriters on their desk.  One thing led to another and
the next thing you know a little known company called Micro-Soft makes a few
clever marketing and licensing moves, and boom!  They are on the verge of
world domination.  Don't underestimate the power of the desktop, the home
user desktop, to influence the world of computing.

Linux is making in roads in a somewhat different way.  It is starting above
and below the desktop.  It is a killer server OS and is also becoming a very
important player in the upper end of embedded devices.  For Linux to make in
roads into the desktop market, it will take grass roots support.  It will
take people in Linux User Groups all over the world advocating the use of
Linux to their friends, relatives, and co-workers.  It will require those
advocates to "give back" to the open source community, from which they
benefit so greatly, by giving a copy of Linux to some of those friends, and
helping those friends out when they have trouble.  It means burning CDs and
giving them away, answering phone calls, going to peoples houses to help them
with installs, answering questions, assisting with kernel or distro version
upgrades, demonstrating how to install a new RPM, showing them that it's not
really that hard to do compiles in Linux (my 11 year old figured it out after
I showed him once).  It will take time.  Calendar time, and people time.  The
most valuable gift you can give anyone is the gift of time.  Spend some time
talking to your friends and relatives about how great Linux is.  Spend some
time with them helping them find that elusive video driver that allows their
17 inch monitor to display something better than VGA.  Spend some time with
them tracking down the library they are missing when they try to run TuxRacer
and it fails.

I would like to challenge each and every one of you on this list to set as a
goal, to help at least 10 people to convert to Linux by Christmas of 2002.
That's less than one each month.  If every one of you did that, there would
be at least 2000 *new* Linux users in KC by next year.  If every one of those
did the same thing the following year, there would be 14000, and in five
years, if this trend continued, the entire city would be converted to Linux.

I realize that's a bit over optimistic, but I think you see my point.  Linux
is a great OS, and a pretty damn fine desktop operating system!  Tell
everyone you know.  Make them aware that there is an alternative to the
M$-Hell they've been in.  Let them know that they *can* say NO to paying
continuing extortion fees, and that you can help them make the switch.  In
fact tell them about KCLUG, and that we'll ALL help them make the switch!  :-)

Advocate freedom!

Peace, Love, Linux, and Happy Holidays,
Jim Herrmann
President, Heart of America DB2 Users Group