No subject

KCLUG kclug at marauder.illiana.net
Thu Dec 13 22:06:58 CST 2001

>From jrunyan at nitc.usda.gov  Mon Dec 10 10:10:33 2001
From: JD Runyan <Jason.Runyan at nitckc.usda.gov>
To: kclug at kclug.org
Subject: Re: XP Performance

I believe this belongs on the list.  In reality, the non-techie sees
little difference between the two.  The ask the person that they know,
who knows the most about computers to help them when they need.  KDE,
and GNome are not harder, thier just different, and can be learned and
tweaked by anyone.  Just screaming that it is easier doesn't cut it in
an argument.  When I put a disk into my drive in KDE, and it is a disk
that contains software for Linux it usually opens up the software
manager, and gives me a list of Installable software.  I have managed
windows and UNIX servers for over 6 years, and have jacked with windows
pc's in one way or another for the last 15 or more years, and I am an
MCSE.  I know exactly of what I speak.  I converted 100 desktops running
Windows 3.11 to Windows 95, and spent the next 6 months dealing with problems, that
weren't problems at all.  They were just the user didn't understand, and
they didn't understand because the UI was different.  You say it is much
more intuitive, and I don't.  Your argument makes little sense. We think
it is intuitive to drive a car with a steering wheel, rather than a
flight stick, but a pilot might find the stick just as easy.  The
steering wheel really was chosen for engineering pruposes.  It is easier
to engineer the wheel rotation using a rotating object.

On Sun, Dec ,  at 04:18:03PM -0800, Patrick Thurmond wrote:
> Now your just plain wrong. As a techie I know for a fact that linux
> isn't easier. If you use linux for a couple of years and are using for
> several days out of the week during this time then you will know your
> way around it like I know my way around windows. When I moved from 3.1
> to 95 I found 95 to be less hassle and since everything was right there
> it was also easier. X Windows uses a start menu config like windows so
> you can't argue easier use for linux their.

>You talk about the lies MS
> spreads but the linux community doesn't always tell the truth about
> windows either.
I speak not of lies, but of cr at p.  MS sells it self as the end all be
all.  They tell you to upgrade, upgrade, upgrade with no real purpose,
but they sell it to you.  Windows 95 to Windows 98se was a bunch of
bugfixes, and some gloss, yet they sold it as another OS.  If I had
bought that software under the name AIX, I would have received those
updates at no additional charge, and would not be asked to pay for
another OS unless I needed it to run the latest application.  Rather than
creating a technically more sound product, and selling the techies, and
making it pretty to sell the managers, they only do the latter. Rather
than compete in the marketplace they march to capital hill, and call the
open source community un-American, and a threat to the American way of
life.  That is the cr at p I speak of.

>Now I have been using MS for 7 years and linux for 3
> years and I can tell you that you know not of which you speak if your
> saying that spending hours reading a text file to work a linux program

Again I ask who does this for their web browsers, email, and office
apps.  I know the mutt users do in email, but my wife wouldn't use mutt,
she would use some pretty HTMLized gui.  I edit lengthy text files for
server apps, and I have found them to be much easier, and faster than
editing the massive tabbed configuration interfaces that MS apps are so fond of.

> or even install it is easier than just popping a disc in the cd drive
> and clicking next a few times, or the MS use of a COMMON interface, then
> you haven't used windows in a long time and might need to open your eyes
> a bit.
>

> -Patrick
I use it a bit daily, and my eyes are wide open.
--
JD Runyan
		"You can't milk a point."