No subject

KCLUG kclug at marauder.illiana.net
Thu Dec 13 22:06:11 CST 2001

>From zscoundrel at kc.rr.com  Sun Dec  9 18:52:57 2001
From: zscoundrel <zscoundrel at kc.rr.com>
To: Jonathan Hutchins <hutchins at opus1.com>
CC: Marvin Bellamy <Marvin.Bellamy at innovision.com>, kclug at kclug.org
Subject: Re: ease of use debate

The problem is that most people are not smart enough to understand most
computer problems.  To them, the software and hardware are one.  They
don't blame Micro$loth for the Blue-Screen-of-Death or the lock-ups or
the various bugs.  The whole process is FM to them.  They usually can't
tell the difference between a bug, a crash, user error, or a lock-up.

When there is a problem, they blame the COMPUTER, do some 3-finger
incantation to cause another magical re-boot, and trudge merrily along
with what-ever they were trying to do.

What we SHOULD be doing is establishing a set of PUBLISHED
inter-operability standards that software should adhear to.  One that
all manufacturers can depend on without lining the pockets of a major
competitor and without fear of losing license access should they
inadvertantly do something to displease the license holder.  This is my
main hope for the GPL and Linux.

It would be great if the courts would hold Micro$loth to certain
inter-operatbility standards and force them to open the source to the
operating system.  Let 'em keep Office and the applications to
themselves.  Once the techies get a look at the source - the laughing
will not stop for a long time.  (These comments will probably earn me a
visit from the software police, but I am prepared.  I beleive in freedom
of speech - even in these times - and the price of these freedoms is
vigilance.  I have licenses for every piece of software I own and am
prepared to cost any organization a fortune in legal bills should they
attack me!!!)

Letting 'them' go for the bottom of the market is fine, but they are
never content with what they have.  When they see that some programmer
has developed a market niche that they have ignored for years, they try
to buy that programmer out.  If they are unsuccessful, they drive that
poor programmer out of business by a concerted effort of thousands of
programmers, marketing people, and FUD.   We need to conter their FUD
the same way Ellison and Jobs do - never let an opportunity pass by to
correct M$ FUD or to take a light-hearted jab at them.  This sets people
to thinking, and THAT is last thing Micro$loth wants to have happening!

--
At 20, I was liberal, because I had nothing to lose and so much to gain.
by 40, I was conservative, because I had so much to lose and so little to gain.