Virus or Not?

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Thu Dec 6 16:10:50 CST 2001

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, David Nicol wrote:

> Gerald Combs wrote:
> >
> > The packet is a plain vanilla TCP SYN packet.  I'd assume it's benign, but
> > the only way to be sure would be to temporarily spin up a web server on
> > the interal interface so that the HTTP connection can complete, and
> > capture it.
>

> A web server is overkill.  A simple program to listen at the socket
> and save whatever arrives to a file would do.  Something like faucet
> from the netpipes package, or write a simple server based on the
> examples in perldoc perlipc.

I was assuming that Apache was already installed on the server, and that
something like

/etc/init.d/httpd start
tcpdump -w <capture file> port 80 and host <offending host address>
[ Wait for some period of time to pass ]
<Ctrl-C>
/etc/init.d/httpd stop

would do the trick.

If not then yeah, netpipes or a simple perl/python script would probably
be more appropriate.