ease of use debate

JD Runyan Jason.Runyan at nitckc.usda.gov
Wed Dec 5 23:46:32 CST 2001

On Wed, Dec ,  at 05:04:39PM -0600, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> [...]
Are we talking server apps here? Or are we talking desktop apps.  I have
never had to do any research on getting a desktop app running from RPM,
unless the thing is alpha-release or early-beta.

Scenario:

Jason opens Mandrake Software Manger -> Jason types word in search box
-> jason selects Abiword from results -> jason clicks install -> jason
clicks next a couple of times -> jason clicks finish -> jason goes to
gnome or kde menu and finds applciation put nicely in one of the menus
and clicks it -> jason writes a document.

elapsed time 3-5 min

Next scenario:

Jason puts ms office cd in drive -> jason is presented with license key,
and his dyslexic a$$ cannot seem to type it in right -> jason breaks
keyboard -> jason realizes he has no extra and store is closed -> jason
goes to store next evening after work -> jason still doesn't get code
for 5 more tries -> jason is presented with a couple hundred options
that don't seem to make any sense -> jason installs them all -> jason is
presented with a dialog 30 minutes later that he is out of drive space
-> jason picks fewer options -> an hour later the install is finished ->
jason reboots -> jason goes to start menu that is has 300 items because
all software just dumps its icon it it -> jason calls geek friend to be
reminded how to put one of those picture thingys on the main screen, yea
the one with the picture of the corona girls -> jason double clicks on
picture thingy -> jason answers a few personal questions -> jason
connects to the internet -> jason forgets what he is doing after he sees
the pron pop-ups -> jason goes back to word and starts to type his
document -> jason is prompted for his cd to install one of the features
he deselected to make room for the installation -> jason finishes
document.

elapsed time 3-5 days

now which scenario sounds easier to you
--