the viewpoint of a single newbie

JD Runyan Jason.Runyan at nitckc.usda.gov
Wed Dec 5 17:29:18 CST 2001

On Wed, Dec ,  at 10:51:25AM -0600, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> Even without Microsoft, the popularity of the "home computer" would continue
> to make this problem worse.  What used to be the pride of the dedicated
> amatuer is now on Mom's kitchen counter and in every playroom.  Yeah,
> they're supposed to evolve into disposable appliances with no user
> serviceable parts in order to keep the idjits from creating their own
> problems, but as long as they can install their own software they're going
> to be able to do it badly.  (Game cartridges may be the answer here, and the
> future "home computer" may very well be a PS2, not a PS/2 for this very
> reason.)

You wont't see PC's go away.  You will see more disposable apliances
that my father-in-law will use, because all he wants is stock quotes,
email, and cards.  People like most of those on this list want allot
more than a disposable non-customized box will give them.  It will
probably drive the prices of PC hardware back up once these things gain
popularity.
--
JD Runyan
		"You can't milk a point."