the viewpoint of a single newbie

Jeremy Fowler jfowler at westrope.com
Wed Dec 5 15:56:44 CST 2001

Yeah, but didn't it give you a certain sense of satisfaction and gratification
when you finally figured it out? Kind of like a puzzle that needed to be solved.
Call me crazy and diluted, but I enjoy trying to figure out why some program
won't compile or learning why I need a certain library. I believe that these are
the trials and tribulations that every Linux newbie must cut their teeth on.
There are so many dumb Windows users out there and when Windows works the way it
should, no problem. But if something goes wrong and their Windows program
doesn't autostart when they put the CDROM in the drive, who are they going to
call to find out how to install the program from the Start|Run command? Windows
spoon feeds these people and it makes them lazy and they get into this mindset
that all things in life should be easy. Life is NOT easy and to get anything of
quality out of life you have to work for it. Linux is a good thing because it
makes you learn how to use it, all of it. It doesn't spoon feed you, it kicks
you out of the nest and makes you fly or die. Linux is Life. -Jeremy