XP Performance

Patrick Thurmond p_thurmond at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 23:26:48 CST 2001

I know your completely abhorrent to XP, and I don't blame you. But your biggest complaint I see so
far is that it costs money. Now I am pretty experienced with computers in general and I have a hell
of a time just installing things like netscape or staroffice in linux. I follow the directions to
the letter (most which require console commands) and that doesn't do it. Nor do many variations. I
have read alot of info on linux and when something that should be simple like a software install
becames a huge pain, you know somethings wrong. And I not just talkin one distro, I am talkin
redhat, debian, mandrake, and slackware.
My arguments aren't mindless or experienceless ones but come on, program installation shouldn't be
so difficult. I don't mind using the console, but I have to type in huge strings to execute the
commands, that includes triggers and switches and such. Your talkin down on XP, yet I haven't seen
it crash, it can format a brand new hdd in under 1 minute, and it boots very swiftly, and its
really user friendly. I will always use linux for things like servers and net admin, no prob, but I
am having a heck of a time using it as an everyday desktop.
-Patrick
Jonathan Hutchins <hutchins at opus1.com> wrote: -----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Thurmond [mailto:p_thurmond at yahoo.com]

> I will try to come in December to one of
> the meetings and educate everyone on the
> features of XP.

I think that would be a pretty poor way to spend LUG time, and a very good
way to get yourself pelted with rotten vegetables.

We all get plenty of exposure to Microsoft's "education" as it is.

XP's primary benefit is that license fees go to Redmond.