DNS and Time Warner Cable

Marvin Bellamy Marvin.Bellamy at innovision.com
Tue Dec 4 19:21:46 CST 2001

In-line comments...

ndr wrote:

>On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Marvin Bellamy wrote:
>
>>Setup:
>>OpenBSD firewall on a Pentium 133, running IPF and IPNAT
>>RedHat 7.2 on my desktop, Pentium 500
>>

>Which version of OpenBSD? I have the same setup with RR and it works fine.

OpenBSD 2.8.  How did you configure your external hostname.if file?  I
just have "dhcp" in mine since I wasn't aware of any other options that
I'd need.

>>Hey all.  I just moved to Praire Village, but with no DSL access I
>>switched to Road Runner.  I reconfigured my external NIC to use DHCP and
>>the session appears to open successfully.  The problem is DNS isn't
>>working.  The resolv.conf file is rewritten  with  a "search" on the
>>kc.rr.com domain and the three RR DNS servers as "nameserver"s.  I can
>>ping external IPs, but I just can't resolve names.  I even tried
>>reconfiguring my desktop to use the old DSL nameservers to no avail.
>> Any suggestions?
>>

>Try doing a tcpdump on the external NIC. Are you seeing the DNS traffic
>getting out? How do you have your NAT setup? Any IPF rules? Does an
>nslookup timeout or does it return an error immediately?

Running tcpdump produced practically no output, and that output did not
appear to be related to my DNS queries.  I saw a few dumps with ...arp
who-has... that usually referenced my gateway address or 24.163.154.160,
whatever that is.  It isn't one of the DNS servers.  Are there any
different types of packets that DHCP might use that would have been
blocked by my ipf.rules?  My firewall is essentially unchanged.