GPL Terms (Was: AMIOPEN: etc....)

Duston, Hal hdusto01 at sprintspectrum.com
Tue Aug 21 15:18:28 CDT 2001

Monty,

I think I can simplify.  If you give some one access to a
binary file that contains GPL'd software that you have
modified, _then_ you have to give _them_ the modifications
that you have made.  You have to permit them to redistribute
the modifications under the GPL.

However, there is one exception here.  If _you_ are the
originator of the GPL'd software, i.e. the copyright holder,
then you are under no such obligations.  You can even license
the _same_ software under contradictory license terms.

For example, if I modify a GPL program (not copyrighted by me),
and give the binary to you (Monty), I must also give you the
source code to my modifications.  I am, however, under no
such obligations to Mike, since I haven't given him the
binary containing the modifications.

IANAL, but that is my understanding.
Hal