AMIOPEN: Linux, free software and its industry. (Was: Loki Software seems to have filed for bankruptcy.)

Monty Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Tue Aug 21 04:09:47 CDT 2001

8/20/01 11:47:03 AM, Mike Coleman <mkc at mathdogs.com> wrote:

>If you're a commercial entity and you're making a number of copies
>proportional to the size of your customer base, and putting it on machines
>they have physical control over, that sure sounds like distribution.

  What if the computers remain physically located at the company's site?  It's basically in the ASP
business, offering to customers the service that the
software provides, but not in any way putting that software into someone else's hands.

  Say, for example, that our good friends at Google make certain mods to GNU software, and use it
to serve up searches at blistering speed.  Do they have any
obligation to share the changes they've made?

  It's not that I necessarily disagree with you - I'm just trying to figure out where The Line is
here.