Pseudo-Servers

Monty Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Tue Aug 21 03:58:26 CDT 2001

8/18/01 11:09:38 PM, Jonathan Hutchins <hutchins at opus1.com> wrote:

>> My worst nightmare is the customer that insists on having a Win server,

>You really have to have someone who will say "No!" in your outfit.
>
>(I know, we didn't, the company died of it.)
>
>Someone who thinks that their shared box running Win98 is a "server" really
>isn't prepared to spend the money to do what your firm does.  They should
>politely directed to Gateway, Dell, or CompUSA.

  I don't know if we still sell it that way to new customers, or just upgrade existing customers.
The fact is that the front end we run doesn't put that much
of a load on a computer - it's all text, output in <your terminal emulation here>, so there's
nothing really wrong with putting the back end on a 9x machine
per se.  But trust me - we push Unix =hard=.  We tell people that we =can= sell them a Windows
setup, but it isn't nearly as good as the Unix variety.