AMIOPEN: Linux, free software and its industry. (Was: Loki Software seems to have filed for bankruptcy.)

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Sat Aug 18 03:27:20 CDT 2001

That is one of the largest misconceptions about the open source license
concept - one fostered by certain old-school software firms, I suspect.
If you spend 3 years writing a new software application for any software
platform, you can release it under any software license that fits your
needs.  You wrote it, it's yours.

The only time you are obligated to release your code to open source is
when you use existing open source code base or you make improvements or
modifications to the OS software.  Since you are just building on the
work of others, or are using existing open source software as a base,
you are obligated to release those changes or improvements to the
community.  (After all, fair is fair.)

The idea that you can't benefit from the effort you put into coding your
applications just doesn't hold water.