NewsForge Secretaries use Linux, taxpayers save millions

Jeffrey A. McCright jmccright2 at home.com
Thu Aug 16 15:09:41 CDT 2001

I don't understand. Unix has been running on dedicated servers for years
(decades) with Dumb Terminals or Graphics Terminals attached. Centralized
application management, closed systems that don't fear viruses/Crackers.
PC's running terminal emulators. I maintained a AIX system such as this for
a year, the hardest part of the support was a multiplexor hit by lightning,
an employee who while watering a plant above a terminal, spilled water into
the terminal while it was on, and fighting with SWBell over a dedicated
lease line that wasn't working.

Just my opinion.

Jeffrey A. McCright