Small PC that runs Linux?

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Mon Aug 13 21:33:29 CDT 2001

At 04:21 PM 8/13/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Any one know why rackmount chassis are so expensive? I mean generally you
>pay =less= money for things that have less material, right? Anyone know
>where to get these things at a reasonable price (as in cheap)?
>
>Brian

You reach a point where price vs. density starts to soar, especially if
it's not a mass produced type item.  Your best bet is looking towards the
embedded PC's that are about the size of a cigarette box.   I've been
researching a few for a project I want to do -- again costs vs. quanitity
is killer here.  I can get 486 type boards for $100 I believe, in quantitiy
. . . and $??? for Pentium boards.   For my project I would probably
prototype with regular sized PC/components for demonstration of principle
(using Linux as my OS) and then have a product mock-up of what it would
look like in the final form.

Now I just need a bank or investors . . . .

-- Bradley Miller