Code Red (II) Question

Jeffrey A. McCright jmccright2 at home.com
Sun Aug 12 03:21:15 CDT 2001

According to McAfee  http://www.mcafee.com

"Code Red" is a worm that attacks unpatched administrator's Microsoft IIS
web servers. It does not affect an end-user's PC, but all Internet users can
feel the effects of this worm, such as requested web pages being defaced or
unavailable, due to the actions of this worm.
Personal User Advisory:
If you use Windows 95/98/ME or Windows NT4.0/2000 and do NOT run Microsoft
IIS, you are not at risk from Code Red. However, Code Red uses standard
tools from the hacker's toolkit, including system scans (in this case port
80, normally used for http web page traffic) and Denial-of-Service floods.
These can be defended against and mitigated by deploying a simple, effective
tool - the Personal Firewall. Hackers collect resources on the Internet that
are reliable and have power in the form of bandwidth. The more traffic a
hacker can squeeze of out your system the more damage they can do to home
users and businesses alike. If you do anything important online, you are
potentially at risk: your hardware, software, reputation and even identity
can be stolen or abused. Don't let hackers use your computer without your
permission and don't be a victim or a part of a crime; get a personal
firewall to complement your anti-virus software today.

Code Red II -- This threat only affects Microsoft Windows 2000 running web
servers. Although WinNT is vulnerable to this exploit, the worm crashes on
WinNT.

For more info, please see http://www.mcafee.com

Thanks,

Jeff McCright