What is a kernel?

Jeremy Fowler jfowler at westrope.com
Thu Aug 2 16:09:10 CDT 2001

No no that's a Colonel.

kernel n 1: the inner and usually edible part of a seed or grain or nut or fruit
stone: "black walnut kernels are difficult to get out of the shell" [syn: meat]
2: a single whole grain of a cereal: "a kernel of corn" 3: the choicest or most
essential or most vital part of some idea or experience: "the gist of the
prosecutor's argument"; "the nub of the story" [syn: substance, core, center,
essence, gist, heart, inwardness, marrow, meat, nub, pith, sum, nitty-gritty]