Linux Project (RE: Linux vs. Windows and why win is winning!)

Monty Harder lists at kc.rr.com
Thu Aug 2 12:07:22 CDT 2001

>Monty,
>
>   I like this idea! Do you see a generic pop-up that allows the user to
>type in the option line (this would be for more advanced users), a generic
>pop-up that "builds" a list of options from a database, or separate pop-ups
>for each command?

  A combination of the first two.  Ultimately, an application package (rpm/dpkg/tarball) would have
a file included that
would be assimilated into the database. (Or more accurately, a pointer to the file would be
assimilated) The dialog would
have visual controls to set options, Help button (s) that call(s) up the manpage/ HOWTOs or
whatever, and an Advanced
Options field to enter any switches manually.  Ideally, as you click on radio buttons, the dialog
would show you the
command line it's building.  Probably have a Redirection tab on there as a separate entity for
piping output elsewhere.

  I think the best way to implement the database assimilation is by defining a grammar in XML or
similar, so that the file
looks like this:

<command>
 <name="ls">List Directory Contents</name>
 <opt="-1">Single Column"</opt>
 <opt="-a">Include Hidden Files (that start with ".")
  <help>By convention, files with a name beginning with a period are considered "hidden", as they
contain information that
is used by programs to store their configuration information, and are not often edited.  By not
cluttering up the directory
display, it's easier to find the files you want.  Checking this option shows those files, too.
 </opt>
 <opt="-b">Show Non-Printing Characters in octal</opt>
</command>

The <opt> tag could include parameters like
<opt="-d" type="alpha">Specify the device to print to:</opt>
which would produce a field into which the user could type the value requested overriding the
default of Boolean, which
makes checkboxes.  Mutually exclusive options could be grouped inside <optgrp> containers, which
would display the
individual choices as radio buttons with a nice grooved border around the set.

Either that, or just use HTML <FORM> syntax and write a back end to massage the URL into something
the command can
understand.

>>   No, but the ones that are rarely used would be buried
>> deeper in the menus.
>
>Or, how about, turned off until the user turns them on in the menu
>configuration tool?

  That starts to sound like the MS2K theory of not showing all the menu options at first, then
after a few seconds
expanding the menu to include not-recently-used commands.  I turn that off right quick because I
don't want things moving
unless I move them.