Windows Media Player for Linux

Mike Coleman mkc at mathdogs.com
Thu Apr 26 21:13:12 CDT 2001

Mike Coleman <mkc at mathdogs.com> writes:
> For those in academia, here's a link to a story about how SDMI is trying to
> use the DMCA to exercise prior censorship over an academic publication by a
> research group at Princeton.
>
>     http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/04/21/1319251&mode=thread

Here's some followup info:

Regarding this case I mentioned before, just today Dr. Edward Felton at
Princeton has decided to concede to the RIAA.  Apparently the RIAA and the
SDMI Foundation sent threatening letters to each author of the paper in
question, each of their institutions, the organizers of the conference where
the paper was to be presented, and the employers of those organizers.  Also,
apparently the Naval Research Laboratory (a cosponsor of the conference)
ordered the conference chair to ban the paper (which was refused, though now
moot).

    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/04/26/1528252&mode=thread

I'm disappointed by Dr. Felton's decision, but he's not a bad guy here at
all.  I can only suppose that he's having to choose his fights.

The actions of the RIAA, SDMI Foundation, and NRL, however, are utterly
revolting and, IMO, flatly contrary to the American way.

--Mike

Mike Coleman, mkc at mathdogs.com
  http://www.mathdogs.com -- problem solving, expert software development