SNMP and mrtg

Eric Rossiter rossiter at discoverynet.com
Tue Apr 24 18:56:01 CDT 2001

From: mike neuliep <mike at illiana.net>

> Hi Eric,
>
> This is actually easy!  It is a five step process:

IF you know what your doing....

> 1) build an mrtg config for your router / switch
>
> cfgmaker --vendor public at router-ip-address > router.cfg

returned: Unkown option: vendor   (I know, I'm ignorant - do I put the maker
of the router here? ours is a PST)

> 2) make an html file that a browser will read
>
> indexmaker router.cfg > router.html

returned : Five or so lines about "Use of uninitialized value at yadda,
yadda....

> 3) add mrtg to cron so it will run every five minutes
>
> */5 * * * * /usr/local/bin/mrtg /path/to/router.cfg

I can do the above, believe it or not!!!!

> 4) work some apache / dns magic to make an alias called
mrtg.yourdomainname.com
>    which points to your router.html file

Ain't no magic happening here....

> 5) point browser at mrtg.yourdomainname.com

Uh Huh.....

> This is the 30000 foot view.  If you tell us specifically where you're
getting
> stuck we can do a little better job of helping you.  I've done some crazy
stuff
> at work that I don't think too many people have done before with mrtg,
like
> sending pages with batteries need to be replaced in UPS units, tracking
modem
> usage on our shiva lanrover as well as the usual switch port & cpu
utilization.

> Let me know if I can help...

Wanna hold my hand while I try to wrap my feeble brain around these
concepts?

> Mike Neuliep
> mike at illiana.net
> .

I'm new at this Mike, I don't understand hardly any of this Linux stuff...I
read and read and read, and just don't get it....  I'll probably need about
the 3 foot view.

TIA,

Eric