New (BIG) hard drive - how to move?

Don Erickson derick at shark.zeni.net
Sat Apr 7 15:04:23 CDT 2001

In article <3ACE9521.87865659 at bigfoot.com> you write:
>limited space.  Well, I finally picked up a decent sized drive, now I
>want to;
>
>- move/copy everything from one to the other,
>- remove the original
>- be able to boot from the new.

Here's a prescription that I have used... this assumes you've already
formatted your new drive.

Copy entire filesystem

When copying the entire root filesystem to another partition it is
important to preserve all file permissions and ownership thus use "cpio",
and not to copy files on other mounts like /proc, thus use "find -mount",
like so:

                 cd /
                 find -print0 -mount | cpio -p -0 -d -m -u /misc

Obviously if your current system is spread across multiple partitions you
will need to copy each partition in this manner, starting the find command
from the mount point and mounting your target partition under /misc.

You will also need to boot the "new" hardrive from a floppy, edit
lilo.conf to point the current hard drive and run lilo to install the MBR
on the new disk.  Then, edit lilo.conf back to install to /dev/hda, halt
the system and switch the ribbon cables to make your new hard drive
/dev/hda.

These instructions make assumptions about your system that may be
incorrect.

A full treatment of this subject can be found at
http://www.linux.org.tw/CLDP/HOWTO/mini/Hard-Disk-Upgrade.html

>This is a Linux only system, running Mandrake 7.2 at the moment.  I'm
>just certain a straight cp *   is too simple to enable the booting
>afterward.  Am I just paranoid?

No.

Regards,

-Don