Oh, the humanity!

Randy Rathbun randy at randyrathbun.org
Sat Oct 7 06:49:32 CDT 2000

Thanks for the info, Hal. Yep - the screen flickers, that is, you can
watch it drop to text mode then right back to gdm. I watched it some more
when I got home last night and was finally able to see exactly what it
was doing. I logged in over the network and saw that X was chewing up like
95% of my CPU time, so I looked and lo and behold  there are two copies of
X running! So, something somewhere is messed up here. I clobbered the
second one and was able to log in just fine then.

The keyboard was responding - that is, Num Lock and Caps Lock were working
- and if I did CTRL-ALT-DEL the thing would drop to text mode while it
shut down and I could see all my keypresses that I had done.

I have not looked to see what is causing this yet - I bought SuSE 7.0 Pro
yesterday and am going to be doing an upgrade tomorrow on the box, so
figured I would see if something magically fixes itself before I start
scratching my head.

Randy Rathbun                            randy at randyrathbun.org
http://astrodot.org - 100% Amateur Astronomy. No preservatives.
http://randyrathbun.org          http://quitequitefantastic.org
I refuse to participate in HackSDMI.
 See http://www.eff.org/pub/EFF/Newsletters/EFFector/current.html

We always hold hands. If I let go, she shops.
     -Henny Youngman