Traffic rants

Jeffrey Watts watts at jayhawks.net
Wed Nov 22 10:54:57 CST 2000

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Kendric Beachey wrote:

> Forget trying to drive a car around in DC.  There's no need when the
> subway system ("The Metro") is so good.  Where it won't take you, the
> bus probably will, and if it doesn't, just take a cab and let a local,
> who's familiar with the area, deal with the traffic.  Visitors
> especially don't need cars if they're staying in any decent hotel,
> because most of them have shuttle vans that will take you to the
> nearest Metro stop (if you can't just walk a few blocks).

Ah, but that doesn't work if you're flying into DC and going to training
in Silver Springs.  Besides, I wanted to see DC, and it's hard to do that
under the ground or on foot.  I love getting a driving feel for a town
(maybe it's because I'm from LA).

> As long as we idiots here in KC keep voting down light rail, we will
> be cutting our city off at the knees, keeping it from taking the next
> step into becoming a truly important and cosmopolitan city.

Couldn't disagree more.  Kansas City certainly does not need light rail.
The only mass transit system I would recommend is a frequent bus line from
downtown to the plaza.  Rail systems are _expensive_, and most taxpayers
won't relish spending _billions_ on a rail system.  Let's see, 500,000
residents of KCMO.  $1,000,000 divided by 500,000 = $2,000.  Lot of money
for most folks, especially the poor ones who can't afford it.

Kansas City is a medium sized city.  It has plenty of parking (relative to
bigger cities), and except for the Plaza/Westport area has excellent
access to highways.

As someone who pays a frighteningly large amount of taxes (it amazes me
how much I spend on taxes and how little I get), I'm generally against
large public expenditures without obvious payback.  Perhaps others feel
different.  I would think that if light rail was so needed, there'd be
private enterprise chomping at the bit to provide it (without huge
subsidies).

Heh, time to get off my soapbox.
Jeffrey.

| Jeffrey Watts                     |
| Systems Programmer         | "I love you, I won't kill you.  Unless  |
| Network Systems Management |  I discover that you're worth more when |
| Sprint Communications      |  you're dead."                          |
                             |  "Slow Dance with Boba Fett"            |