LinuxFest net connection (bandwidth test)

steve doerr sdoerr at swbell.net
Mon May 29 10:09:06 CDT 2000

Altona Duston wrote:

> Well, I would like to set up the booth early next week,
> and I am trying to decide if it is worth the money to get
> a net connection.  It would double our expenses for the
> booth from ~100 to ~200.  I really doubt we could do
> a webcast on the kind of bandwith (256K) provided.
> So far I only have one opinion (a probably not worth it)
> and a lot of opinions about the proper syntax of rpm.
> (Weren't they a musical group in the 1980's?) ;)  Any
> one else have any opinions they want to share?

I've got 128k upstream speed on my DSL service.  I've had visits to my
page from California and Germany, and the bottleneck seems to be their
56k modems.

I've got a 5+ meg java archive that loads when you click on the Kontor
demo icon at http://kontor.dynodns.net.  The applet's still broken, but
the jar file loads if that would tell anyone whether 128k might work.

I could also put something else out there to test that speed if anyone
has any ideas.

I don't know if 128k is available and cheaper, but let me know if you
want to try anything at that speed.

Steve