new to Linux

Christofer C. Bell cbell at jayhawks.net
Fri May 26 21:41:09 CDT 2000

On Fri, 26 May 2000, Jason Fruge wrote:

> > Unless you know what you are doing, you should never use 'rpm -i', as you
> > can accidentaly install multiple versions of the same software.  'rpm -U'
> > is the proper way to install software.
> =========================
>

> The manpage says they both work
>
> >From the manpage rpm(8)
>
> "INSTALL AND UPGRADE OPTIONS
> The general form of an rpm install command is
>
> rpm -i [install-options] <package_file>+
>
> This installs a new package."
>

> we are both right according to the manpage. =oP~

a.) They work differently.  The -Uvh option is better.
b.) I'm not supid.
c.) I've read the rpm(8) man page many many many times.
d.) I've been running an RPM based disto for 5 years.
e.) I know what I'm talking about.

You're the guy that said 80% of software installs were:

configure
make
make install

I don't trust your grasp of the rpm(8) command.

Play through.

--
Chris