Paranoid about Cookies...

Gene E. Dascher gedascher at multiservice.com
Thu May 18 14:10:44 CDT 2000

> Man, you are one paranoid puppy.  Cookies are necessary.
> Real business on
> the 'Net is impossible without the ability for a remote site to set a
> session key.
> I find it amusing when I'll hear people tell me "but they can put
> _anything_ in it, and IT'S ON YOUR HARD DRIVE!!!", as if some
> text file
> will somehow sprout horns and start chasing you around the room.

	I don't think that it will "sprout horns" etc., BUT like Mike Coleman
mentioned, there are businesses who take unfair advantage of the cookie
and use it to see where you have been, etc. WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT.  Do
any of you use the program Go-Zilla for Winblows?  (It is a Download
Scheduling program for those of you who do not know.)  Here where I
work, we have a pretty tight firewall.  One of the sysadmins noticed
that data was being passed to a blocked URL, so he investigated.  The
requests were coming from a cubemate of mine who had Go-Zilla installed
on his PC at work.  Apparently, Go-Zilla has a TSR that monitors every
website that you visit and bounces that information to another URL.
Maybe it was in the License agreement, and maybe it wasn't, but I think
that is a HUGE violation of a user's privacy.  I haven't seen ANYTHING
in the program that will allow you to turn that "feature" off.

	I want to do everything that I can to keep my private information
private.  I have been very lax about setting up a firewall to secure my
system, but I am working on that now.  I will probably be hitting the
group up for some help later, so thanks in advance!

Gene Dascher