newbie question

Jeffrey Watts watts at jayhawks.net
Thu May 11 16:15:22 CDT 2000

On Thu, 11 May 2000, dale eldridge wrote:

> Hi, I am new to the linux/kclug listserv here and was wondering if
> anyone could help me with a linux problem? I have upgraded from redhat
> 5.1 to 6.1 and now have lost my printer port.  Is there a way of
> manually adding that port so my local printer will work again?

Howdy.

The thing that has changed between Red Hat 5.x to 6.x that has broken your
printer is the new 2.2.x kernel.  One of the new features of the kernel is
that it changed the way that parallel ports were numbered.

So, if your printer port was "lp1" on your old machine, it is probably
"lp0" now.  This happened to me personally.  Change the line:

	:lp=/dev/lp1:
In your /etc/printcap to "	:lp=/dev/lp0:" (or vice versa) to fix this.

Jeffrey.

o-----------------------------------o
| Jeffrey Watts                     |
| Systems Programmer         | "Is uniformity [of religion] attainable?  |
| Network Systems Management |  Millions of innocent men, women, and     |
| Sprint Communications      |  children, since the introduction of      |
o----------------------------|  Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, |
                             |  fined, imprisoned; yet we have not       |
                             |  advanced one inch towards uniformity.    |
                             |  -- Thomas Jefferson, "Notes on Virginia" |