bandwidth question

Tony Hammitt thammitt at kc.rr.com
Thu May 11 03:12:15 CDT 2000

In practice, this is being done for most of the network traffic.
As you may know, asynchronus transfer mode (ATM) uses 53 byte
'cells' with (I think) an 11 byte header, so they always transmit
64 bytes.  Thing is, they can transmit an almost arbitrarily
large number of cells, the only limits being the medium and switch
used.  If you want more bandwidth, you just buy better parts but
the cells themselves don't change.  OTOH, ethernet packets look
different depending on how they are transmitted.

This makes ATM a lot better for cross-country connections and for
thinks like telephone conversations.  Queueing a cell every 10ms
is really simple on ATM, whereas on ethernet, with its bigger
packets, you can't guarantee that your tiny little packets will
get sent at any particular time.  TCP doesn't even guarantee that
it will send them within a reasonable amount of time, prefering
to get more data to send all at once (unless you tell it otherwise).

Back to the point, most WAN ATM is over fiber and most LANs use
copper, just because they are cheaper that way.  Fiber is too
expensive to run around to every desktop and takes more complex
technology to interpret back and forth into electric signals.
Copper is cheaper to use but I think that fiber is probably
cheaper to make.  It's easier to 'mine' sand.

In short, all of this complication is typically hidden from the
users and is usually hidden from the network engineers, too.

BTW, you can send a hell of a lot more bandwidth down fiber than
copper.  Each frequency of light being good for many gigabits
and you can put lots of frequencies on the same fiber.

Hope this helps,

Tony Hammitt