Meeting minutes 3/21/2000

Brian Kelsay ripcrd6 at worldinter.net
Tue Mar 28 16:43:35 CST 2000

I know it's a little late, but here it is.

We went through the LDP Security Howto by the items on the contents page,
to get some discussion going.  First was an overview of why security is
needed and determining how secure you want your system to be.   Then we
discussed securing the physical location of the server and resources.
Gave a brief overview of file permissions and some of the available
encryption schemes for remote admin.   Finally, we discussed network
vulnerabilities, methods of detecting intrusion and the necessity of
backups.

Several of these items should be covered in more depth at future meetings.
After the meeting it was mentioned to me that someone would like special
attention to intrusion detection.  I think we could spend at least one
meeting on firewall setup and the different options for firewalls, such as
mini-distributions (Linux Router Project, MuLinux, LOAF, Floppix, etc.)

Some security links:   www.linuxlock.org
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Security-HOWTO.html
www.linuxsecurity  (run by the maintainers of the Security Howto)
www.securityportal.com/lasg  (Linux Administrators Security Guide)
www.openssh.com

We gave some time to Greg Palmer of Linuxfest (www.linuxfest.net ).   The
Linuxfest is to run from June 20-24 at the Overland Park Trade Center.   He
gave us a run-down on events, speakers and activities.   Sounds like a real
deal folks, let's start thinking about booth activities, see below.

>From the material he passed around:
June 19-20  Booth Setup
June 20        Linux Forum for Linux Companies and people with ideas for
startup companies.  (VCs will be present.)
June 21-23  Linux Forum for the Public
June 21-24  Linux Fest Trade Show

Speakers:  Eric S. Raymond, Larry Augustin, Jason Talley, Bruce Perens and
a mystery special speaker Friday night picnic (to be held at Worlds of
Fun).

Companies represented:  Red Hat, Atipa, SGI, SuSe, Turbo Linux, Linux Mall,
Linux Store, ELinux, Vovida, Linux Telephony, Tummy, EST, Knox, MaxSpeed,
IncPad, SmartWare, Informix, Payment Plus, Sys Admin, The Linux Show (Live
broadcast from show floor.), Intel, Mission Critical, Sterling Software,
Rational Solutions, JBSi, Corel, KC Computer User, Smart Ideas, EBC.

If you want pricing, I think he's still working on it, more details at his
site.
One other thing, ESR will have "Geeks with Guns" Wednesday morning at the
Bullethole.

At the end of the meeting I had some giveaway items from RedHat and Randy
Young brought stickers and bootable CDs from Linuxcare.   I will bring the
remaining swag to the next Wednesday meeting.

KCLUG has been offered a booth at Linux Fest due to the great turnout at
our meeting, way to go guys.   I've spoken with Randy Young of LinuxCare
and one possibility is to do a booth with them.   They have already
committed to as many shows as they can handle this year, but could provide
swag and maybe a couple of people, mostly swag, for a booth.
(Swag=shirts, buttons, bumper stickers, etc.)   While this helps Linuxcare,
it also helps KCLUG, and KULUA if they want to join in.   We do need ideas
for booth decorations and probably need some machines to do demos on.

Well, this is getting way too long so I'll leave the rest to open
discussion.

Thanks everyone,

Brian Kelsay