new installation

steve doerr sdoerr at qni.com
Sat Mar 25 02:13:41 CST 2000

WWryoung at aol.com wrote:

> I could use some help here!
>
> I just installed RED HAT 6.1 on my Gateway machine.  It iss on a seperate
> spindal.
>
> The system installed properly - however  Linux complains about my video card
> and won't start XFree86 server..  Says it has problems accessing the memory
> on the card.
>
> The card is an 'ATI Rage 128 GL AGP  (English)'.
>
> The question is:  Has anyone used this card with linux?  Any suggestions on
> getting X to work.

Hi Randy, you might want to read the xf86 howto at:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/XFree86-HOWTO.html

It doesn't sound like RedHat's installation routine got your video card right,
so I would use one of the x configuration packages, xf86setup (gui) or
xf86config (text based).  Pick the x server that corresponds to your video
card, answer the questions (have the video card and monitor manuals handy) and
give it a try.

The command to start the x server is "startx" (from the command line).

To get back to the command prompt if you've done something wrong,
simultaneously press the "ctrl-alt-backspace" keys to kill the x server, and
run the configurator again.