new installation

Duston, Hal hal.duston at mail.sprint.com
Fri Mar 24 19:24:32 CST 2000

A note of caution, X 4.0 is a beta, plus it will need to
be compiled.  I would pursue 3.3.x a little bit further.

>From the 3.3.6 Documentation for ATI.

1. Supported Hardware

ATI Rage 128 based cards

2. Features

Full support (including hardware accelerated 2D drawing) for
8, 15, 16, 24, and 32 bit per pixel depths.
Hardware cursor support to reduce sprite flicker.
Support for high resolution video modes up to 1800x1440 @ 70Hz.
Support for doublescan video modes (e.g., 320x200 and 320x240).
Support for gamma correction at all pixel depths.
Fully programmable clock supported.
Robust text mode restore for VT switching.

4. Reported Working Video Cards

Rage Fury AGP 32MB
XPERT 128 AGP 16MB
XPERT 99 AGP 8MB

5. Configuration
The driver auto-detects all device information necessary to
initialize the card. The only lines you need in the "Device"
section of your XF86Config file are:
       Section "Device"
           Identifier "r128"
       EndSection
or let xf86config or XF86Setup do this for you.
However, if you have problems with auto-detection, you can
specify:
VideoRam - in kilobytes
MemBase - physical address of the linear framebuffer
IOBase - physical address of the memory mapped IO registers
ChipID - PCI DEVICE ID

6. Driver Options

"hw_cursor" - request hardware cursor (default)
"sw_cursor" - software cursor only
"no_accel" - software rendering only
"dac_8_bit" - use color weight 888 in 8 bpp mode (default)
"dac_6_bit" - use color weight 666 in 8 bpp mode (VGA emulation)

Hal Duston
hald at sound.net

Randy Rathbun (randy at middlewest.com) wrote