Meeting topic - security test

steve doerr sdoerr at qni.com
Thu Mar 23 05:41:49 CST 2000

Hi everyone, I just got an idea.  KCLUG security scanning service.  I
just installed  SATAN (Security Administrator Tool for Analyzing
Networks), which runs on any Linux/UNIX based system.  If anyone wants
to have their system scanned for openings (I would like to have a
friendly scan myself), you could just post a message to the list w/ the
subject "security scan" and put only your current IP address in the
message body.  Then any member who could and would be willing to do
scans could do that and reply to you alone, with the results.

Some questions:

Would this be useful?
Would others be willing to do scans as they showed up on the list?
How should something like this work?

What does everyone think?