Skeleton in Linux closet?

Rick Meeker rmeeker at kc.rr.com
Wed Mar 22 06:13:18 CST 2000

I thought that this statement was kind of interesting:

	"IDC analyst Dan Kusnetzky tells Interactive Week, that
	 price-to-performance advantage is driving Linux growth.
	 And that if the open source method proves sustaining, its
	 market share and revenues will continue to grow -- while
	 non-Linux dollars will be siphoned into the new Internet economy.
	 It's a significant if."

Heh, sales of Linux have nothing to do with stock values.  Companies that
offer Linux noticed early on that the dollars to be made would be through
service and consulting.  "Price-to-performance" advantage is NOT driving
Linux's growth, it's driving Linux's popularity.  In that case Linux should
become more popular as time progresses.  Linux's growth is being driven by
the high demand for Linux and the low supply of professionals that know
anything about it.  Companies like Redhat for instance make most of their
money off the sales of toys, t-shirts, and other memorabilia; and most
importantly, their ability to provide Linux solutions consulting to various
companies that need it.  This ability to provide support for Linux solutions
IS the main driving force for linux's growth.

Now, why don't more companies jump on the wagon?  Frankly, it's because
their vision is as narrow as Micro$oft'$.  I used to work for Inacom
Information Systems before the corporate cut-backs caught up with me.  I
wouldn't claim to be a guru of Linux by any means, but I seemed to be the
only person at the branch office here in Kansas City that knew anything
about it.  One manager said that "we should be making money off of it, and
so should you."  Unfortunately, no one else seemed to care.  Of course I
guess that all of M$'s certified solutions providers, having to place 80% of
their clients on M$ platforms, could be the reason for this
short-sightedness.

Suffice it to say, Linux's growth is dependent on both, it's popularity and
the availability of Linux solutions consulting.

Just from my point of view - down on the bottom of the totem pole :)
Rick Meeker