Next meeting (Location)

steve doerr sdoerr at qni.com
Fri Mar 17 04:36:51 CST 2000

Mike Coleman wrote:

> steve doerr <sdoerr at qni.com> writes:
> > About me, I am a CPA and Debian user (my home desktop)
>
> Now I've seen it all.  :-)  :-)  :-)

Weird, huh.  Well, I worked on a TCO study at Sprint in '98 and came to the
conclusion that Free/Open Source Software could improve the quality and
lower the costs of IT to a business.  After evaluating the administrative
cost of unnecessary office suite/OS upgrades, their license fees, and
downtime from their flaky performance, I thought there had to be a better
way.

So I thought I'd give this Linux thing a try....

Now I've got a perfectly functional Debian/KDE home desktop (spreadsheet,
word processor, internet, etc.), and I can't seem to crash it.

There's still a learning curve, but ease of use seems to be growing almost
exponentially (see Dustin Decker's comment on the SB Awe sound cards in
RedHat 6.1).

Anyway, that's why I use Linux.