Small Server/Spare gear...

Chad LaFarge chad at clafarge.com
Wed Mar 15 20:05:43 CST 2000

OK, Chris got me thinking about what all I would like this server to do, and
I'm wondering if anyone has ideas to share.

I would like to have this server set up as a Gateway/Firewall and SMTP
(outgoing only) server.  Until Roadrunner allows static IPs, there's no
reason to shoot for a web server or to accept incoming email, although I may
set up Apache with PHP for testing and toying around (it would be a shame to
waste 8.4G on not more than a fewM).  I may try to use it as a print server,
too, but that will rule out the floppy idea... I'll have to have a place for
printer drivers, if I can figure out the instructions at the link that Randy
sent.

This change also frees up some h/w (last items per paragraph may be
available):

*** Important- Somebody PLEASE throw a flag up if you know that some of this
won't work out!!!***

I'll move the Equisonic Sound card from my wife's current PC into the new
one.  I'll move the Sound Blaster Live Value from the new one into my 1/2
Linux box (will this work in Linux?) and the Turtle Beach Montego (consider
it a Dell pull) will be available.

I'll probably ditch the Conexant V.90/56K -WIN- MoDem from the new machine.
Again... this is a Win MoDem... software... not for Linux.

I'll do a -lot- of moving around of Display Adapters.  The Server will end
up with an old 8M ATI Rage Pro, and I'm torn between a 32M Rage Fury 128 and
a 16M MPact II 3DVD for a spare.

Also, the recent new HP purchases have freed up an -old- Phillips CDD2000
(CD Recorder- 2x) with an Adaptec AHA 154 SCSI host adapter and a quirky
Epson Stylus Color 850 (in 720x720 and below, the first black character on
each line looks smudged.  I did all the standard maintenance, but no fix.
Epson sent me instructions once to correct it, but I never found the need to
fix it -that- compelling- it entailed a few minutes worth of various button
holding, but the problem wasn't bad enough for me to worry about).

I'm not allowed to *give* anything away, but I may be able to come close.
After you guys, I'll go to family, then eBay.