New Guy...

Dana akadanak at kc.rr.com
Sun Mar 12 11:52:39 CST 2000

Hi Chad,

> ...and the things I'm reading indicate that we are trying to make Linux a
> "user friendly" OS, that is approachable to the masses.

Well, yes and no. This "we" you are talking about is an amorphous mass of
individuals that are sometimes working together and sometimes not.  As Al
Gore said "There is no controlling legal authority".

> 1. My clients, for the most part, use Windoze, therefore I have to use
> Windoze (when in Rome... blah blah blah)

And here we have the crux of the matter.  Windoze is the de facto standard
and will be for a long time.  Just being a superior product to Windoze will
not
be reason enough for most people to change to Linux.  It has taken years and
many billions of dollars to get the workforce trained to the point where
using
Windoze, Word and Excell is now not even considered a special skill but
merely
the minimum requirements for almost any worker.  Business is not going to
switch
to a new product easily.

> 4. All the distributions I have include a vast array of packages, with
which
> none I am familiar.

This reinforces what I just said.  There is a steep initial learning curve.

Does this mean that I think that Linux is doomed and we should all just give
up now?  Not only no but HELL NO.

However, I do feel that Linux for the average user will develop much faster
in
parts of the world that does not yet have Windoze as the establishment
operating system.  Linux, in the US, will be more for the back office and
the
desktops will be dominated by Windoze.

All this is said in full knowledge that predictors of the future are almost
never right.:)

Dana Smith

668: The Neighbor of the Beast