dell laptop and *nix

Chris Midkiff cmidkiff at ladybaltimore.com
Wed Mar 8 15:07:42 CST 2000

I'm running an Win98/Corel Linux dual boot on my latitude (P2 266, 64mb,
4.8gb)...  The latitude's sound system, an ess 144? chipset, does not
work properly...  Everything else, including (usr)pcmcia modem and
(3com)nic are fine.  Used to run RedHat 6.0 on the same system, it was
fine also, same problem with the sound.  I can make it run with SB16
drivers, but it sounds like ____.  Don't really need sound for network
troubleshooting (sniffer), email, and the other basic stuff I do with
it. I did'nt have any problems installing RH or Corel (I tried Caldera
and had some problems with the video chipset, so I went to Corel),
though this model does not support booting from an atapi device.  Don't
know if you have messed with Corel Linux yet, but it's gui boot manager
and pre-configured KDE work well for a dual boot machine.  Corel's KDE
came up at 1024x768 at 24b without any assistance from me...

Overall, it's been a good experience.  Good luck when you get your
hardware, I'd be happy to help if you do run into any problems.

Chris Midkiff
cmidkiff at kc.rr.com